- A general one dimensional scattering problem could be characterized by an (arbitrary) potential
which is localized by the requirement that for .
Assume that the wave-function is
Relating the ``outgoing'' waves to the ``incoming'' waves by the matrix equation
Use this to show that the matrix is unitary.
- Calculate the matrix for the potential
and show that the above conditions are satisfied.
- The odd bound state solution to the potential well problem bears many similarities to the zero angular momentum
solution to the 3D spherical potential well.
Assume the range of the potential is
cm, the binding energy is -2.9 MeV,
and the mass of the particle is 940 MeV.
Find the depth of the potential in MeV.
(The equation to solve is transcendental.)
- Find the three lowest energy wave-functions for the harmonic oscillator.
- Assume the potential for particle bound inside a nucleus is given by
and that the particle has mass and energy .
Estimate the lifetime of the particle inside this potential.